A DAY IN MY LIFE : SILENCE DAY IN BALI (NYEPI 2022)

By Sonya Octa - Sunday, March 06, 2022

photo credit by Pinterest


It's been 3 years I spend Nyepi in Bali. Of course with different vibes and companion. But, how I spend Nyepi this year is a bit different from years ago. This year I decided to spend Nyepi alone in my dorm, yes literally alone. I want to really feel the Nyepi vibes by myself. Because the last 2 years I always spend Nyepi with my friends whether it in hotel or just in a dorm. I have no companion this time, but that's all that I want. Really embrace the vibes of Nyepi in Bali.

Nyepi itself is a Balinese day of silence based on the Balinese calendar. Generally, Nyepi is a day of silence, fasting and meditation for the Balinese, it also celebrated as a Balinese New Year's Day. Held from 6 a.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning. Nyepi is a day of silence and self-reflection. All Bali's Island residences are expected to remain silent, people should stay indoors without any lights. All congested roads and all street will be empty, only emergency services vehicles are allowed. The only airport which is will be closed for a day, only in Bali, on Nyepi Day. There will be no television or any radio broadcasts for a day, even the ATM machines closed a day before Nyepi day. Instead, meditate in darkness to work out on the inner part of the spiritual life. If we talking about the meaning of Nyepi Day itself is really deep though. There are four rules known as "Catur Brata Penyepian" which guide the Hindus to refrain a while from worldly and physical activities. The first one is "Amati Geni" which is not allowed to use fire or light. The second one is "Amati Karya" which is not allowed to do any activities. The third one is "Amati Lelungan" which is not allowed to go outside the home, we have to quietly stay at home. The last one is "Amati Lelanguan" which is we have to turn off all of our desire for a day.

The purpose of Silence Day is not only closer to oneself but most importantly to God. This is my strongest reason why I want to spend the Silence Day alone this time. This is such an amazing experience that ever happened in my whole life. Silence is truth, bliss and peace. And hence silence is the self. I never know what's going to meet me in the silence. Silence has a mysterious calming affect, allowing my soul to be at peace with my thoughts. As I am shifting, I will begin to realize that I am not the same person I used to be. The things I used to tolerate have now become intolerable. Where I once remained quiet. I am now speaking my truth. Where I once battled and argued, I am now choosing to remain silent. I am beginning to understand the value of my voice and there are some situations that no longer deserve my time, energy and focus. In silence I find my own limits. In silence I find reason. In silence I appreciate the sanctity of life. In silence I hear the murmurs of my own soul and in silence I find God. 

Silence Day that I experienced this time was really meaningful for myself. I've been prepared everything days before. I mainly have some focus to do on that day which is I am not allowing myself to use my phone and of course internet connection are not allowed for a day. Somehow at first I thought, "can I do it?" because I always on my phone like almost all the time (yea you know it's not good, please do not copy). My change my routine just for this Silence Day. That day I focus more on my worship, pray more, remind the goals, do the daily affirmation, then enjoy the calm morning with reading a book and drink my matcha latte. Do yoga, feel the body mindfully, no music or any sound, just the silence. At night, I listened to podcast in the darkness, it hits different. Actually already planning on stargazing in the darkness and wishing to see the milky way. But sadly, a huge thunderstorm occurs for almost all night. Ended up embracing the sacred atmosphere in my room. It's okay, I am satisfied and embrace everything that happened that day. Mindfully enjoy the silence, just me and the nature sound especially the beautiful bird sounds chirping. Even I can hear the clock sound, that quiet. That day helped me to truly practice mindfulness. It helped me to notice the things that I never noticed before, to stay present and enjoy the every moment in life. Finally I did it and it felt great, really great. I really connected with myself again. That day truly hits different. Spend time alone and re-discover my true self. I feel more peace in my body and soul. I am become calmer.

If you interested to experience the Silence Day in Bali please come here next year. For you who enjoy this kind of things, trust me, you will loved it. Only in Bali Island, the nature take a rest for fully 24 hour. The air will feel so fresh in the next morning. Hope you enjoy my story this time and hope it motivates all of you guys.



안녕, 다음에 또 봐.




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments